Sunday, August 16, 2009

my thoughts

We were required to watch a film, “Bang Bang You’re Dead” for part of this assignment. The play was made into a movie which aired on Showtime. The original release date for the play was on April 1, 1999, just weeks before the shooting at Columbine. It was first done in Eugene, Oregon.

Although it can be viewed as controversial, the message is very clear. I would recommend watching it…you can find links to all ten parts on the side bar (BBYD). The only thing better would be to have this play performed in our communities.

While viewing this movie, I felt such emotions of sadness, empathy, fear and empowerment. I felt sad for the students who were being bullied. Empathy came in when I can remember being made fun of for being different. I was afraid many times...sometimes for the one being bullied and other times for innocent bystanders of potential violence. I also felt fear for what might happen. In the end, I felt empowered to do something. I may not be able to stop school violence, but if we all did our parts, whether they be big or small, the trend will decrease. The little things can mean so very much.

Can't we all do our part to help stop school violence?
The purpose of this blog is to provide an interactive forum for teachers, paraprofessionals, principals, guidance counselors, all school staff personnel and parents to visit and share both their successes and hardships having to do with school violence. The beauty of the world wide web is the ability to draw in audiences from around the world. All schools are not the same. All students are not the same. We can, however, all be on the same page when it comes to school violence prevention, intervention and the aftermath when it does occur.
I thank those of you who pass on this link in the hopes that if we can prevent even one act of school violence, we are on the right path.
Again, to return to the full site, please click on the blog title.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am the instructor for the course and thank Tammy for this unique approach to the study of school safet and violence. mike hattman